CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wilco Review - May 2, 2008 in Winnipeg

After driving for 7.5 hours and quickly eating at my favorite Winnipeg restaurant, The Mondragon, I had the pleasure of seeing Wilco. Wilco has been on my "really cool bands" list for years and I was stoked to see them live. In addition to that, I got to go to the Burton-Cummings Theatre!

The Burton-Cummings Theatre is a really old theatre that has the amazing character that you just can't find in most modern buildings. Things like hand-painted detail and cool moldings up the whole side of the wall just add so much character to a place. It was lovely. We were seated on the second balcony and could see straight down onto the stage. People in our section were literally on the edge of their seats the whole time. It's a good thing we had bars to lean on to rest our chins on as we looked at the top of Wilco's head. Actually, it was pretty cool having an eagle-eye view on the show. From our spot, we could see all the guitars lined up so that Jeff Tweady could change guitars after every song. Before the band started, I counted about 10 guitars. There were also 9 keyboards (for two keyboard players).

The opening band was nothing special. I can't even remember their name. My partner in crime liked them, but I was not moved by them at all. There was a handful of guys in front of the stage "rocking out" to them, but I was not. I only sat there to await Wilco respectfully.

Wilco played an awesome set: over two hours of all their "hits" and some songs that I had never heard before. Jeff Tweedy got into an argument with some people in the audience, but apparently he is known for his antics. He even called himself a "sensitive artist," which I like to pull out when people start talking about Hayden. Also, Jeff Tweedy did not look how I expected him to. I was expecting a skinny indie rock dude.... He was more like an alt-country guy with an edge and cowboy boots!*

The show itself was awesome. That band is so tight it's not even funny. Nels Cline is such an amazing guitar player and really ripped up some great solos. I was also impressed by Pat Sansone for being such a versatile musician playing lead and rhythm guitar when not at the keys. I left the show being completely satisfied with the drive and the whole experience.

Crystal's rating: 8/10


*Here is a picture of Jeff Tweedy - I bet he just said something rude...


Photo courtesy of Mark O. Barret - Wilco at Sasquatch in 2005.

No comments:

Crystallize your Wednesday Mornings!

Crystallize your Wednesday Mornings!
Thanks to Olivia for creating this!