CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Two Reviews for You!

This week I had two amazing musical experiences and thought I would share them.

The first was in the form of a movie called "It might get loud" at the Broadway Theatre. I was in awe just from the trailer so I knew that I had to see this movie. I was especially excited about hearing about Jimmy Page. The movie did not disappoint at all. The movie is about three guitarists, The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White, and their relationship with the guitar. I loved Jack White saying, when asked what he was hoping to get out of the meeting, that he wanted to trick the other two into giving him all of their tricks. It was so cute and so humble.

The three different perspectives on and relationships with the guitar were so interesting and intriguing. Jimmy Page came across as a very sweet man, who's love for the guitar and music is very pure. I didn't know that he was a studio musician before he was in The Yardbirds. He even played with The Kinks and The Who, both fantstic bands.

All of the artists talk about their first influential song or artist. I loved this part of the movie because they played the actual version. Jimmy Page shows us his impressive vinyl collection and they look like they're in mint condition. It was more than obvious that he loves music. This was also evident in Jack White's talking about music. There was a little cartoon about how he was in a family of 10 siblings and had a very small room that he packed with musical equipment (including TWO drum kits) and he slept on a mat by the door because there was no room for a bed. Now that is love for music and creating music.

The Edge, I thought, had a smaller part in the movie. It seemed to be more focused on the other two. However, his connection with the guitar is more complex and techology-based. It showed all of the equipment he uses to get a sound. He explains that it sometimes drives him, and the people around him, crazy trying to get the exact sound that is in his head. That is why he uses technology to get him there. I have to admit that I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I really do appreciate the music they play and The Edge's contribution to music and to U2.

All-in-all, this is, by far, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. During and after the movie, I felt my heart burst with love for music, guitars, and each of the artists. Not many movies can have that affect on a person.

The second music experience was at Lydia's and was one of the live show nature when I saw Ladies of the Canyon play. This folk-country act is made up of four women with different musical styles and abilities. Together, they are AMAZING. This Montreal band blew me away and it stands as one of the great musical surprises of the year. While their myspace page is pretty good, it does not do them justice. I think they would be perfect for the Ness Creek Music Festival next year. I think I'll write them a letter!

p.s. It Might Get Loud plays until October 22. The showings are:
7pm: Oct 9, 11, 13, 15, 19, 21
9pm: Oct 12, 14, 16, 20, 22

No comments:

Crystallize your Wednesday Mornings!

Crystallize your Wednesday Mornings!
Thanks to Olivia for creating this!